Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"Run circles, Mommy!"

It's not uncommon for Evelyn to suddenly, without notice, drop whatever she was playing, exclaim, "Run circles, mommy! Come on!" and bolt towards the living room from her toy area at the back of the house.

Admittedly, I'm not always the best participant.
Depending on my current task I may go along and play, run in to plop Will down and sacrifice him as a stand in, or call from the kitchen giving her an empty promise I'll join in a few minutes when I'm done.

There's always one moment in the day though when her papa gets home and "Circles, papa!" can be heard from anywhere in the house.

I can't help but smile from my spot around the corner when I hear her squeal and dive behind the couch while Tommy roars and chases her.

Photo Credit: Erin Alies Photography

At night, when I sit in the living room, often holding sleeping Will, I look at that rug where she runs and smile again.

I don't see the empty wall space still waiting to be decorated with an extravagant photo collage. I don't see the missing trim piece still waiting to be painted. I don't see the hodge-podge of furniture finishes and styles. 

I see the wobbly end table laying on it's side from being used as a barricade. I see the empty (and therefore baby-friendly) book shelves. I see the curtains slightly opened from where Will likes to climb on the couch and peak out the window.

And I love it.

This is our home.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome words! My kids frequently "run circles" although it is more of a straight line in our house, back and forth.

    ReplyDelete