Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

DIY Birthday Cards for everyone!


Every year my in laws send personalized birthday cards to all of their children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, siblings, and close friends.

I've always thought this was not only really special -- but also seriously impressive. I'm lucky if I remember to send my brother or sister-in-laws a text when it's their/their children's birthdays.

But with our immediate family being spread out now across half a dozen different cities and multiple states, I decided that birthday greetings were something I wanted to me more intentional and personable about. We celebrate over 30 birthdays each year between our two families, so writing out cards every few weeks or even monthly just isn't realistically going to happen.

So, I spent the past few evenings making up 35 birthday cards (I made a few extra just in case...). Later this week I'll sign them, address them, and envelope them with the birthdate in the corner where I'll place the stamp (so I know when they need to go out).

This is exactly what my father-in-law does every year during the holidays, while he is enjoying his time off of work watching college football.

Then they will all be done and ready to send out as their date approaches!

How to make them

I've had these cards pinned on Pinterest for a few months. I love how simple and cute they look but needed to make mine less bulky since they'll be mailed and who knows how smooshed down they'll get...

What You'll Need:
  • Blank cards (or card stock to cut to-size) 
  • Scraps of various scrapbook paper
  • Scissors
  • Glue
  • Black pen
  • Envelopes
That's it! I had some blank, colored cards & envelopes from last year when I first decided I wanted to make and send birthday cards... ehem. They are just a card (they don't open). 

First, I ran them through the printer to add "Happy Birthday!" You could easily write this on but my handwriting is weird.
Then, I cute up a million candle-sized strips from my scrapbook-paper-scraps.
Then I laid the candles out on each card, glued them in the order I liked, and drew a little wick on the top.
Ta-da! Seriously the "hardest" part was deciding what patterns to put the candles in... I should have just done them all the same, but nope, I didn't think about that until just now...

I can't wait to send theses out - they cost nothing to make, used up some materials I had laying around, and now that's one less thing on my "I wish I could..." list!



Thank you following along on our journey to simplicity & contentment. Please be sure to learn about our family, like our page on Facebook, and visit the right column to subscribe to future posts!

I shared this post at Simply Natural Saturdays & the Barn Hop!

7 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic idea! One: because people love getting mail on their birthdays and Two: if you do it ahead of Ike, no one gets left out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did something similar two years ago. I made cards and then put them in large envelops by month. Then I found the awesome box I store everything in now!

    http://www.sowderingabout.com/2011/10/my-birthday-box.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so creative! I'm going to try a "manly" take on this for my husband's 25th b-day that's coming up. Thanks for the genius idea! :)
    Clear cards

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this idea. I recently decided to make all of my cards, so this idea came right on time. I have a stamp that says "Happy Birthday to you!" I used that instead of printing the words. Since my recipient is a 13-year-old boy, I used some of my more "manly" scrapbook papers. I also drew a little flame at the top of each wick. It turned out great! AND it was so easy; I'll definitely be doing this again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning..it inspires me a lot..can you shares tips related to designing with me...

    ReplyDelete