Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

Tackling Under the Kitchen Sink



I am blessed to have a wonderful, functional kitchen. However, there are two spaces that are neglected --- and therefore -- not preforming up to par.

One of those spaces is under my kitchen sink.

Because what could be a great space to store, organize, and hide necessary but unsightly items, is really just a disaster zone of yuck and I don't even know whats going on down there.

When we moved into our house, the previous owners left a lot of their "household items"... including what THEY used in this area (which apparently in my giddy-moving-in-stupor I never bothered to toss?). So add that to my lack of effort in make this organized what-so-ever and you get a mess.

What's worse is that we haven't bothered to "baby proof" any of our cabinets yet and since I am standing at the sink all the time Will is constantly getting in here, pulling down the trash can, and trying to eat weird things...

Here's my reality:
Oh there's my large black trash bags I've been looking for!

Dear self, stop forgetting to bring the reusable grocery bags from the van INTO the store when you grocery stop.

Yikes!
Okay, admitting there is a problem is Step #1. Check. Next step, cleaning everything out and wiping it down.


There's actually a decent amount of space, huh! Oh and in case you noticed, no we don't have a garbage disposal.

Alright, I threw away/recycled all the previous owner's supplies (except for a yellow tub), condensed all the plastic grocery bags into one to save for bathroom trash cans, and prepared to create function.

Unfortunately, due to some poor plumbing, the right side of the cabinet has limited depth for storing things. I thought maybe if I can fit the trash can on that side in front of the pipe I could avoid having to reach behind so many things.

If I tuck it towards the center, it fit perfectly and left me room to store my garbage bags so I don't have to dig back behind the can! I usually have the pull the can out to throw things in anyways, and it slides sideways easily so I don't mind. Plus it will probably make it less likely Will can pull it out as easily!

Now, I tucked my newly discovered yellow tub, cleaning products/bottles in the back of the left side with my plastic bag collection.
Look! There's even extra space! What to fill it with?

This is where my newly organized space gets really functional.
 
I've been wanting somewhere to throw dirty clothes/dishrags/napkins in the kitchen -- since we don't use any paper products we go through a lot of rags every day!

(I don't like having an empty laundry basket sitting in the middle of everything, so my current method has been to pile everything on the corner of the counter and throw it to the bottom of the stairs when I need to space...)
Not even close to where the washing machine is...
Luckily, I found this empty 5 gallon bucket in the basement.
Which of course fits perfectly. Ahhh. Now I have an organized, functional, not so embarrassing space! 

I wonder how long it will take Tommy to notice I switch the side the trash can is on...
BEFORE
AFTER
What's going on under your kitchen sink?


Thank you following along on our journey to simplicity & contentment. Please be sure to learn about our family, like our page on Facebook, and visit the right column to subscribe to future posts!

Linking up with the Barn Hop!

11 comments:

  1. I've been going through our house lately, and there seem to be a lot of area where I just never put any thought into use/organization. Under the kitchen sink is one of them. I love the idea of a place for soiled towels! I've been working on using fewer(eventually no)paper towels, so that is one thing that would really be helpful. I do have a coffee can with a lid that I keep under there for compostables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You clever genius! I was expecting a bucket for the compost heap peelings, and instead you offer a solution for all the napkins and cleaning cloths. . .love it. Visiting from Homestead Barn Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep my compost on the counter :) I have a "cute" container for it so I don't mind that its out - although sometime I feel like I need a 5 gallon bucket!

      Delete
  3. I have tons of storage things under my kitchen cabinet, yet nothing is organized! Hoping to get that done this week!

    www.ourhappyforever.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought to put a little bucket under the sink for the rags. I end up piling them on the counter until I bring them to the laundry too...not the neatest thing to do :-) I am glad to see I am not the only one who doesn't have many cleaning products under the sink! I have a bottle of homemade all purpose spray, a bottle of straight white vinegar, and my Dr. Bronners. All of these I keep in my shower caddy from college :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very similar! I have two spray bottles with homemade solution and a squirt bottle with lemon/hydrogen peroxide/water solution for disinfecting when I'm using meats and such

      Delete
  5. Nice! I really need to organize under my sink, too. There are about a zillion cleaning products under there, but I don't use any of them anymore, since I clean everything with vinegar now. I bought a cute tiny trash can from WalMart that's got a step-on lid that holds our dirty rags and cloth napkins. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great idea for the dirty rags. I feel like I'm forever tripping on them or moving them from place to place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an incredibly clever idea (the bucket for rags)! I'm always looking for someplace to toss the day's rags and towels since we too do not use any paper towels, and now I know exactly where I'm going to be putting them from now on. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the bucket for napkins/washclothes. Luckily our mudroom is right around the corner so we dump them in there. Right now under our sink we have a huge dish drainer that we keep all the the water bottle/sports bottle/ car coffee cups, etc, in and it's a mess! I keep checking on pinterest for someone to have a great idea to store those things but so far, no luck :( Stevie @ ruffledfeathersandspilledmilk.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really wana thank you for providing such informative and qualitative material so often.helpful resources

    ReplyDelete