Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Fresh, Homemade Orange Juice (without a juicer)

The other day I had the random urge to make my own orange juice.
I don't really love orange juice.. but I drink a glass each morning to mix in my probiotics and chase my fermented cod liver oil.

It turns out it's kind of fun to make - not to mention getting to avoid any added sugars/preservatives in store bought OJ. If you have a juicer - you're way cooler than me. Although there are times where I'd love to have one, it's pretty far down on my list of "wants"... but it would be about 4 times easier than doing it this way.

Fresh Homemade Orange Juice
You will need:
  • 6-8 oranges
  • Citrus Juice Squeezer (when I was googling to try and figure out what this is called I found these ones which would be AWESOME... so I may upgrade my dollar store one to this soon!)
  • Measuring cup or bowl (to squeezer over)
  • Knife (to half the oranges)
  • Water
Roll the oranges between your hands or on the counter to soften them up. This gets the juices running, it will be noticeable softer! It's okay the bang it a little. I actually handed Will and few to chuck a crossed the kitchen while I was squeezing some...
Halve your soften oranges and rotate them on your juice squeezer thingy. I juiced them into a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup because it had a wide top and spout to pour. But you could use a bowl too.

Repeat for all the oranges, take break and eat some trail mix if you have weak forearm muscles like I do.
All the pulp will be caught in your squeezer if you aren't a pulp person. If you are, just add it in! If you like extra pulp, you could scrap it out of the squeezed oranges. I am not a pulp person, but I added what the squeezer caught because I don't like wasting...

I got just over 2 cups of juice from 8 oranges. Now you can either enjoy the juice as-is (it is SUPER sweet) or dilute it with equal parts water. I diluted it because I don't prefer the smack-you-in-the-face-with-sugar-taste. And then it goes twice as far!

Have you ever made your own orange juice? 


Thank you following along on our journey to simplicity & contentment. Please be sure to learn about our family, like our page on Facebook, and visit the right column to subscribe to future posts!

Linking up with the Barn Hop!

5 comments:

  1. I have made my own orange juice before! And I love it. My aunt lives in florida and has a grapefruit and orange tree in her back yard. I actually prefer the fresh grapefruit juice because it is less sweet, but not nearly as tart as the grapefruits you buy in the store. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really love orange juice :) and the fresh made is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds lovely! I've never made my own juice before but you make it sound pretty easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not make my own juice but I wanted to encourage you to continue using the muscles God has given you instead of relying on a machine to do it. You go girl!! That is the way I kind of look at my appliances or the lack thereof.

    Have a beautiful day!
    Much Love,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete