Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Bar Soap Pouch (Tutorial) No More Loofahs!


A few months ago I stopped buying shampoo and conditioner. It was an easy decision for me considering the skin is our biggest organ and most commercially made soaps (in our price range) contain numerous questionable ingredients including formaldehyde and other carcinogens. 

Since then we've been really smelly.
Just kidding! We switched to locally made goats milk soap. I've also been experimenting with being no 'poo with decent success.

The only problems with our bar soap (other than the fact that I want to eat the delicious smelling oatmeal butter bar) is that:
  • Evelyn loves to break it apart into tiny little pieces in the bath tub
  • It's slippery and awkward to use with my plastic-y/gross loofah

I hate floppy wash cloths so I decided to make a pouch to not only save my soap bar from toddler destruction but also make it easier to use in my five-minute-showers. Also it hides the bar so I don't think it's a giant oatmeal brownie. Mmmmm...

Bar Soap Pouch  

Grab a wash cloth, a bar of soap, and old button.
Lay it on out and fold two corners in so that the points meet.
Tuck the bottom "point" up and behind so that the bottom and top point are on top of each other. Then sew up the sides and trim the extra fabric off (you probably don't have to trim it but it makes it less bulk so.. I did).
Turn it right-side out to hide the seams.
Slide your little soap bar inside and tuck one point in. Fold the other point over to determine where the button hole should be placed.

Remove the soap, add button hole and enjoy! This can be thrown right into the washer when you need to and you will never buy loofahs again.

What do you think? Does anyone use bar soap anymore?

Thank you following along on our journey to simplicity & contentment. Please be sure to learn about our family, like our page on Facebook, and visit the right column to subscribe to future posts!

I shared this post at Simply Natural Saturdays & the Barn Hop!

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Yes, all we use is natural bar soap. I feel like it works just fine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following this blog from the start (when I noticed your comment/link on a Complete Guide to Imperfect Homemaking post) and I love it. You've helped me make the decision to begin blogging this year. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Brittany! yay I'm so glad :)
      please let me know the link - I'd love to follow along!

      God bless!

      Delete
  3. super idea -- i've wanted to make one of these for a while, but haven't gotten around to it. you've inspired me. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it! but I'm pretty much on the exclusive Dr. Bronners train. I use the bar to shave up into my own laundry soap and liquid in the shower, I have dreads so shampooing is minimal and it is one of the better soaps for it. However my bf seems to have very greasy hair and we want to quit the 'poo but Bronners doesn't do the trick. Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete